Saturday, November 29, 2014

Sanna's Altered Perfume Box

Hi there! Sanna here today with a little present idea for Christmas. I collect all kinds of junk - even my kids and husband ask me if I can use a certain piece for something, before throwing them away. And near relatives have now gotten to know the family habits too. That is why I am lucky to receive all kinds of empty, unwanted boxes to add to my stash. The others don´t need them, but I see potential in them. This box, for example, was a perfume packaging I then received when it was empty.

I love this kind of boxes as they are very robust and easy to alter. Now that Christmas is around the corner, it´s time to start thinking about presents, right? What better way to reuse this perfume packaging, but to revamp it  and then give it to a loved one, family member or a friend as a little present.



So what did I do with the box? As you might see in the lower part, there is still some mint green peeking thru. Well, that is the original colour of this box. It also had a very nice matter finish, so I didn't want to cover it all up, that way the outside and the inside of the box match each other.





I then added some wooden "feet" to the box. I glued them down with my all time favorite "Aleene´s Tacky Glue" and they really stay put! I then used some papers my Maja Design. I cut them into the right size and glued them on their places with decoupage glue/Mod Podge. I covered both sides of the paper with that glue, that way the paper will not wear up when using it. Also the doily will not break, when covered with decoupage glue. After the paper layers had dried, I applied some velvet and pom pom ribbon around the box lid and a resin lock for additional detail. All these parts I glued down with Aleene´s Tacky Glue.




The chipboard pieces are by Wycinanka and I covered them with white paint and then added some light grey paint here and there for a shadow effect and finally added a layer of glitter glue on the grey areas. The flowers are by Prima Marketing and I added some glitter glue on the petals for more shine. I then took an old door knob and adhered it into the middle. The box can now be opened easily.




There is also some glitter glue around the banners on the top. Just for additional detail and shine. This box makes a pretty neat present box for Christmas (oh, and by changing the papers and colours, you can create a totally different look, of course). It can be a gift on it´s own or filled with chocolate, candy or something nice and sweet. So next time, before throwing those perfume boxes away, take another look at them and reuse them. Christmas is coming, lovelies, so time to start creating ;-)... Have fun!!!

xoxo, Sanna

4 comments :