Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Creating Texture

Hi, it's Deena on the blog with you today. I love playing with stencils, in fact I think they have become an addiction, but I wanted to create texture on a canvas background with out them. So I assembled the following products on my desk to see what I could create.

Finnabair Art Basics 3D Gloss Gel - Transparent
Golden Fluid Acrylic - Titanium White
Derivan Matisse Flow - Bleached Titanium
Tattered Angels Glimmer Mist - L.E.D. Red
Limor Webber Designs Lindy's Stamp Gang Flat Fabio Spray - Pop Rock Purple
Faber-Castell PITT artist pen big brush - Pink Madder Lake
Faber-Castell PITT artist pen big brush - Magenta
Faber-Castell PITT artist pen big brush - Manganese Violet
Tim Holtz Adirondack Alcohol Ink - Cool Peri
3 10cm x 10cm x 3.3cm canvases

Using my plastic paint scraper I quickly scrapped some of the 3D Gloss Gel on all three canvas. I did it quickly as I did not want them to be the same or perfect. I wanted the bumps, the missed bits and the thin bits.

I picked up two of the canvases and pressed them together. I held them in one hand while I pushed the canvas from the back with my fingers . I then slowly pulled them apart and this amazing texture began to appear. Wondering how I was going to get that texture on the third canvas I again quickly used my paint scrapper to smooth out some of the gel so I could press the 2 canvases together.

Once I had texture on the canvases used my heat gun to dry the gel. At this stage I still had no idea what I was going to create on the canvases as I really was just playing. As I was drying them on two of the surfaces I could see a flower, the third was still a mystery.

Now that the gel was completely dry it was time to use my white paint and a very fine angled paint brush to create the edge of my flower. You can use a grey lead pencil to draw your shape but I found it easy enough using my paint brush. To create the flower I just followed the textural lines made by the gel.

Using the white paint i could clearly see my flower shape, leaving the inside of the flower alone, using my fingers i spread white paint around the rest of the canvas. Taking the top of my Pop Rock purple and L.E.D. Red I used the end of the tube to paint with. I coloured in my flowers, making some parts darker than others. Drying the sprays to speed up the process, and then adding more colour on top. Happy with the coloured sprays I used I them started adding different colours with my PITT pens.

The middle of my purple flower was coloured with the glimmer mist and the middle of my red flower was coloured using my alcohol ink.

The final step was using my fingers to add some unbleached titanium to the canvas.



Don't be afraid to play with your products, use them different ways because you never know what you could end up creating.

No comments :

Post a Comment